Saturday 4 April 2009

Tales from Albion, Part 1

While living here in the UK I've noticed many funny stuff going on with this old species referred to as "the Britons". And in this series I will mention some of the aspects of their lives that I find amusing (Check what my friend Mark has to say about that!).

In this first part however, I've decided to skip the obvious comment about the two taps and jump straight into the "British Gentleman" concept. For instance, before coming to the Island I had a very Sherlock Holmes idea about the British people: educated, polite and law-abiding, you know what I mean right? Even if by now I've discovered that is not always the case, today I saw something that proved me that there are still law-abiding people in this country.

Let me begin my story almost a month ago when a contractor started working on my street. Apparently they found gold or something, and ever since then they've been punching holes everywhere without any regard for the poor motorists that find new traffic signs every single day.

Today was the cherry on the cake when the contractors surrounded a pay and display* machine without worrying to leave any clue to the motorists on HOW or IF they had to pay. No need to mention that I spent countless minutes just watching different people come and go wondering how on earth to get close to the darn machine and pay. This could have easily been an episode of "Candid Camera".

Here a picture of some of them that finally made it to the machine. They are gentlemen indeed or those red hatted officers are really fearsome =)

Pay and Display

* If you haven't seen the concept before "Pay and Display" means that you have to park your car, leave the door open (as many do) while you go to a machine -which is always in the farthest part of the street in relation to where you parked- and after paying you go back to your car and put the receipt on the front window just above the board. Don't forget to close the doors afterward.

No comments:

Post a Comment