Friday 3 April 2009

The Boat that Rocked (2009)

While still pondering on the previous question let me tell you that I had the chance to watch The Boat that Rocked the other day with my wife.

I have to admit that we had a very good laugh. I have to be honest and say that we only picked this movie because it was the only on show at 12!. Why so early? because sometimes we go to the cinema while our daughter is at nursery ;). In Spanish (and in Mexico) we call that "hacerse la pinta", you know being in a place where you are supposed to be elsewhere (like working or writing-up the thesis).

The movie is about a Pirate Radio back in the 60s which made me think about the things that nowadays we take for granted and in the past people had to fight for. It also made me realise that we (my wife and I) really like British comedy and specially Richard Curtis movies: Four Weddings, Notting Hill and Love Actually.

I think that the British have an splendid way of auto-criticising their life-style and their view on topics like sex and drugs in these movies. Take this opinion as coming from a foreigner that has had the opportunity to explore the British culture up close without claiming any understanding of it at all.

In short, I can recommend this movie specially for a rainy Sunday if you need some cheering up.

Sun rays

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment