Tuesday 14 April 2009

Hot Shoe Diaries!!! and some thoughts about gaining experience

If I haven't mentioned it before -and you could guess it from my pictures below- then I have to say that I love to bend the light to my will :)

Easier said than done though, it requires some patience (it can be very frustrating sometimes), experience and set of tools that only make you travel... well, less light! (no pun intended) Speedlites, triggers, diffusers, stands, gels and other modifiers can give you a headache both while packing and using them (I'll talk more about equipment some other time).

In terms of gaining experience, the best way is to practice, practice, practice. But it is also very useful to read what others with more experience have to say. I have already mentioned Joe McNally before and now I am very excited because finally I got a copy of his new book: The Hot Shoe Dairies. I will start reading it tonight with a nice cup of tea (or coffee most likely) and report back with my impressions. I've read that he recycled some posts from his own blog but I still have to see that for myself. I am sure that the information there will prove very useful anyway.

Janina and Mike

Hit the jump below to read and see more...



___________________


Thanks to the information available in blogs like Strobist, Joe McNally, and Lighting Essentials. I have been able to experiment by myself and produce images like the one above (using two portable flashes in this case). Not brilliant but definitely part of a learning experience that I'm proud of.

Those same sites (and Flickr) have made possible for me to meet new people and to collaborate with other fellow photographers (like Alex) in the use of bigger lights as in the next photo (more technical info within each photo page).

Olivia - Red Dress


Or to practice location portraiture with Tobiah Tayo (as in the first image in this post) or Jo Harter-Tong (in the next picture), both great as individuals and photographers from whom I have learnt a lot.

The Look

What I am trying to say is read: as much as possible so you learn from others but also stop being afraid of making mistakes and start experimenting by yourself. You will realize that -even if at a slower pace- you learn more when things don't go as planned.

I am sure in your locality you will find people willing to walk with you in such a photographic experience.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment