Thursday 16 April 2009

Partitioning your new computer... I rather have a root canal!!

Well not really but it was a real pain in the a$$. I just got a Dell Studio 15 with a 500GB drive and it just made me nervous. You know that thing about having all your eggs in one basket. So I decided to partition the drive with no previous experience in doing so. A real DIY project, you know the like I needed rescuing from, problem was -snif- there was nobody to help me out. All my friends were too busy and some were good lads and gave me some pointers through the MSN (and some also laughed heartedly at my predicament, the bastards).

One of my friends -who knew my plans of partitioning the drive- when I finished asked me "So, is it working properly? mine went very slow afterwards" the B... ok I'd have appreciated the information beforehand but it seems my machine works nicely. As nicely as it can running Vista I mean. It feels like walking on thin ice.

The same friend sent me the following comic, which is exactly how it feels now, my dear new laptop. Except for the Hardy Heron part which I didn't install.



I haven't tried word handling a big file full of Endnote citations or NVIVO but certainly there is a huge improvement on Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom 2.2 :¬) they are cruising, man!

Oh almost forgot! to make this more informative: if you ever need to partition your disk then I can really recommend GParted to do the job. Just don't forget to tell your computer again which one is the active partition to get the OS from... If only I had known better.


___________________


3 comments:

  1. That same friend would appreciate an in-line link to his blog. To be honest, I just didn't want to spoil your fun. Admit it, you were having the time of your life doing the partitioning.

    Congrats on the new laptop!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The same friend should be updating his blog more often!!!!

    But ok thanks for the comment, the help yesterday and there's the link!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers! By the way, you should write about the curry and blogs meeting from last week.

    ReplyDelete